I've never considered myself to be a serious writer, though I do feel like I can coherently string a few words together when needed. I am the designated editor for every essay written by my friends and family, and I am always confident when sending back beautifully refurbished versions of their work. But that confidence disappears when I'm staring at a blank screen, forced to write an original piece from scratch. I take great joy in reworking someone else's writing, whether it's that of a peer or a student - but getting my own words out on paper proves to be more difficult.
My writing process includes a ton of procrastination, at least a dozen open tabs in my browser, and the television on mute. I'm usually highly caffeinated and mindlessly snacking on something full of carbohydrates or sugar. It's not a pretty scene, but it usually helps me get some thoughts on paper.
For me, the hardest part is getting started. Whether it's a research paper, a letter to a friend, or something just for me, I seem to have the most trouble when I'm forced to take my ideas and make sense of them. That first step of organizing my thoughts into a logical and sensical presentation is often overwhelming enough to make me leave any writing project to the absolute last minute - much like this blog assignment.
I have found that this is true for many of my students as well. They are often intimidated by the length of a writing assignment, and can't imagine how they will be able to get even just a page or two written. I think that sharing that initial feeling of insecurity will help me be a better teacher of writing, and connect with my students in a very genuine way. I hope that as a teacher of writing, I will be able to calm the nerves of my students. I want to show them, through example, that writing can and should be a form of expression and communication rather than the only way that they know it - as a formulaic five paragraph essay about something unimportant to them.
For me, the hardest part is getting started. Whether it's a research paper, a letter to a friend, or something just for me, I seem to have the most trouble when I'm forced to take my ideas and make sense of them. That first step of organizing my thoughts into a logical and sensical presentation is often overwhelming enough to make me leave any writing project to the absolute last minute - much like this blog assignment.
I have found that this is true for many of my students as well. They are often intimidated by the length of a writing assignment, and can't imagine how they will be able to get even just a page or two written. I think that sharing that initial feeling of insecurity will help me be a better teacher of writing, and connect with my students in a very genuine way. I hope that as a teacher of writing, I will be able to calm the nerves of my students. I want to show them, through example, that writing can and should be a form of expression and communication rather than the only way that they know it - as a formulaic five paragraph essay about something unimportant to them.
A dozen open tabs and the television on sounds exactly like my writing process. The over caffeination and snacks sounds like any college library around midterms or finals. But we all have our processes.
ReplyDeleteI've seen the hesitancy to start writing from my students as well. Students tend to be pretty terrified by the idea of having to write, especially essays longer than a few paragraphs. But any good teacher will be able to calm them and convince them to start writing.