I connected with so much of what Kittle wrote about, from her initial hesitation to sit down and write, to her ideas about being authentic with your students so that everyone is learning together. As I mentioned earlier, I didn't really consider myself a writer. But Kittle's words gave me encouragement: it's not about being a writer, it's about being a person who is trying to write. Our kids need to see the process, and see us going through the process with them, to show them how to work through it to get a narrative on paper. Our own insecurities can be used to empower our kids, and that is enough to get me to write with them. I often felt disconnected from the assignments that I was told to give my students, mostly SAT-style essays or overly-guided literary analysis, and a lot of that was not having worked through the assignment with them. Granted, it was also because I disagreed with the way I was being told to teach - but that's a thought for another blog. Kittle needed to do the writing to know what to teach, and that's definitely something I know will help me with my students.
I'm currently working with a few students on writing, and I plan to have them start writing notebooks immediately. I think that the opportunity it provides for rehearsing, a space to just think about your writing, is something that could really benefit them. And if I can get them to expect to write in this notebook each time we meet, hopefully that will get them to think about their writing ahead of time like Kittle's students. I love that Kittle included so many examples of quick writes, as I can apply those directly to my classroom. The most important concept that I've taken from the reading so far is to just start writing and keep writing.
"I think with any writing, you just have to start."
- Penny Kittle
My biggest takeaway from the Elinor Fuchs article is that reading a play is unlike other reading. We need to look at the world of the play as something separate from our own, and consider all of the elements of that world before event starting to think about the characters. According to Fuchs, when consider the world, or planet, of a play, we have to recognize that it is not something that can fit neatly into our own experience. With this in mind, I took on the task of reading The Humans. Admittedly, I did not go into this reading with much enthusiasm. I share Jaime's thoughts on reading plays, but went into it with Fuchs' advice in mind. Maybe it's just this play, or maybe it's that I haven't read a play since high school and I'm unfairly basing my opinion off of a struggle to get through Shakespeare, but reading The Humans was not terrible. I was actually drawn in and didn't put it down. I did exactly the opposite of what Fuchs' advocated, I was drawn in by the characters and their realness. Real life is messy, and hard, and beautiful, and the conversations jumped off of the pages for me because they reflected real life.
Hey Katie! I agree with your feelings on Kittle. She is a very relateble writer. I believe process is everything and Kittle helps writing teachers understand that we are not supposed to be perfect. Just try and go for it! And that encourages students and helps them understand what it takes to become a better writer.
ReplyDeleteIts good that you were able to read Fuchs's article before going in the play.It might have helped you enjoy the play more than you would've. I loved that what drew you in were the characters as opposed to what Fuchs says. Its important for readers to find what works best for THEM.
Hi Katie,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate that you didn't just read Fuchs and acquiesce to the method she suggests is best for approaching a play, but considered what she said and realized your personal experience in reading the text differed from her theoretical argument about what that experience should be like. While, I do think we always have to look at everything in terms of the larger context, is it not healthy to be first drawn into that larger context through a single element, such as in your case the characters, at least sometimes? I've definitely had success getting students to identify with or despise a single character, or multiple characters, and using characters as a gateway for them developing interest in everything else. When I asked a student who I taught a few years back, who kind of acted like a "space-cadet" in class, what character she liked in Death of A Salesman and she said Happy. I assigned her almost all of his parts, and for the rest of the year, we called her Happy. She went from not caring about the play or subject to acquiring a love of both. So while it's interesting to think about everything Fuchs says, there is, pardon the violent cliche', obviously "more than one way to skin a cat."
Hi Katie. I am glad your book arrived. Yeah, Kittle is a very approachable writer. She has great strategies for use in the classroom. I also find her very realistic and not afraid to change or modify what is working and what is not. I agree with you too about the characters in The Humans. Life is messy and I think the dialogue and relationships really capture that idea.
ReplyDeleteKatie
ReplyDeleteI also love the line "it's not about being a writer, it's about being a person who is trying to write" as it resonates with me as well. Also, your thoughts on writing for standardized testing really resonated with me. We, as teachers, are stuck in between a rock and a hard place in terms of what is being forced upon us to teach versus what we'd like to teach or how we'd like to teach. I deal with this every day at my own school.